This was one of the tastiest chicken marinades I've had in a looooong time! It caramelised beautifully and had just a little bit of heat. The pineapple chutney through the rice was something different too, and definitely worthwhile - if you use tinned pineapple, make sure it's chopped up really finely (or buy crushed). I served it this time with a bean salad, but you could serve with steamed veges, whatever is in season really - asparagus would be great too, or some zucchini!
For the chicken:
300 g boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 tbsp brown sugar
1.5 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tbsp sriracha sauce (or some form of hot sauce)
1 tsp sesame seeds
For the rice:
3/4 cup rice
1.5 cups water
3 tbsp pineapple chili chutney (or mixture of a little chutney with a little tinned pineapple pieces)
100 g green beans
75 g cherry tomatoes (about 10)
1/4 bag baby spinach leaves (about 30 g)
4 tbsp honey mustard dressing (1 tbsp each honey, vinegar, Dijon or wholegrain mustard, olive oil + a little salt)
- Mix all marinade ingredients together, pour over chicken and cover. Put this in fridge to do its thing for at least a half hour (I made this in the morning and left it doing its thing all day).
- Cook rice, drain and stir through chutney/pineapple.
- Cut beans in half (and trim ends off), pour boiling water over them and leave for a couple of minutes. Drain and add to other salad ingredients.
- Cook chicken on medium heat, with marinade, until cooked through and marinade has reduced to a nice sticky sauce.
- Serve on rice, sprinkled with extra sesame seeds. Yum!!