That's right people - soy sauce. Not as quick as my 5-minute microwave brownie, but significantly more fudgey. YUM!
I had come across the recipe a while ago, on the website for kikkoman soy sauces (quite what I was doing perusing a soy sauce website, I can't answer you, but there you go!) and had been meaning to try it for a while. Finally got around to it this week, with it being a friend's birthday (Happy Birthday Emma!).
It made a fairly big brownie (about the size of a dinner plate), so plenty to go around. Give this one a whirl, next time you're after filling up the pantry coffers...
250 g butter
200 g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 3/4 cups (tightly packed) brown sugar
2 tsp soy sauce
1 1/3 cups flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius (160 if oven is fan-forced).
- Melt butter and chocolate together in small saucepan, over low hear, until melted and smooth.
- Combine sugar, eggs and soy in large bowl. Add melted chocolate and mix to combine.
- Add other ingredients and mix into silky chocolatey mixture.
- Pour into greased 23 cm cake tin and bake for about 35 minutes, or until set (you want it slightly fudgey in the centre, not overcooked).
- Serve warm with cream, or yoghurt and berries, or slice when cold for a tasty lunchbox treat.