05 January 2015

Lip balm, with a hint of mint and shimmer

A friend, Erin, and I made these little pots of lip balm just before Christmas, and they've been a hit in my handbag AND as little gifts for friends over the summer season.  Some had peppermint, some didn't, but they were all very very very moisturising.  Which was good, 'cause we spend a lot of time out in the sun, and on the water. 

I love the minty taste/smell of peppermint oil, but if you were making this for someone who didn't, it's an easy thing to leave it out.  The same goes with the mica - it doesn't actually colour your lips, just gives it a bit of a shimmer, but if I were making lip balm for my partner, or another male, I'd probably flag the shimmer and go for an au naturel pot.  

Makes about 8 little pots (10g)

1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp shea butter
1 tbsp beeswax
15 drops peppermint oil
1/2 tsp mica powder (I used a bronze)

  1. Melt coconut, shea and beeswax together in a glass jar sitting in a pot of water (or in a double boiler if you have one).  
  2. Stir well, remove from the heat, stir in the peppermint and mica.  
  3. Carefully transfer into containers (use a dropper if you have one, or just pour slowly). 
  4. Once cool and hard, they're ready to go!   

No comments:

Post a Comment