23 April 2010

Louise Attaque

This weekend I'm heading to Waihi Beach.  So again I figured it'd be a good idea to take something in the way of sustanence, in case we get hungry and can't make it to the dairy.  Having woken this morning at 5:30 am, I started to flick through some of my recipes, to see what I would make.  It had to be relatively quick and easy, 'cause I had a class at 10 am, and also something portable.  I had been thinking muffins but when I stumbled upon a recipe for louise cake that was it.  I love louise cake.  I love the coconut and raspberry.  Hopefully the others like it too, otherwise I'll be feeling well ill by Sunday (louise cake overdose, there's something you don't hear of every day).  Anyway, this recipe is great - I had NEVER made this before and managed to whip it up before class.  And it tastes good, looks like it should, happy days.  Normally my baking tastes good but looks retarded.  Not this time!!  Definitely highly recommended, especcially if you're planning to show your baking in public.  ;) 

70 g butter
55 g sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tbsp lemon juice
140 g flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
5 tbsp raspberry jam
2 egg whites
115 g caster sugar
55 g coconut (plus a little more, for sprinkling on top)
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius, line 20x30cm baking tray with paper (or grease with butter).
  2. Cream butter and sugar until pale.  Add yolks and beat in.  Mix in lemon juice.
  3. Sift flour and baking powder into mixture, mixing into a firm dough. 
  4. Press dough onto prepared baking sheet.
  5. Spread jam over dough.
  6. Beat egg whites until stiff.  Gently fold in caster sugar and coconut.  Spread even layer across top of jam.  Sprinkle with extra coconut.
  7. Bake for anout 25 minutes (less if your oven is fan-forced) until golden on top.
  8. Remove from oven, cut into pieces while still warm.  When cooled remove from tray and keep in airtight container. 
NB: The title today comes to you from France - it's a very nifty band - check 'em out on http://www.youtube.com/

1 comment:

  1. Baked some this afternoon and oh yes, yumm!!! Definitely not hard to make and look forward to trying different variations - apricot jam, for one. :-)

    ReplyDelete