In prepartion for our cooking class evening we took a trip to a butchery, not too far from Emma's house - Westmere Butchery - if you live in Auckland I would really recommend going there - the guys in there were so helpful (letting us know when we were about to buy the wrong cut of meat for a curry) and the lamb we bought was tender and had heaps of flavour.
650 g lamb, diced
400 ml coconut milk
tin bamboo shoots, drained and rinsed
2cm piece palm sugar
2 good handfuls spinach
rice and roti, to serve
- Whizz together all chillis, garlic, ginger, onion, shallot, coriander, lime zest with 1 tbsp water, into a nice paste. Set aside.
- Brown diced lamb in hot pan with sesame oil and a good dash of fish sauce. Remove lamb, set aside.
- Add homemade paste to pan with another dash of fish sauce. Stir around for a minute or so. Add green curry paste, stir. Add coconut milk and bamboo, return lamb to pan, stir through. Crumble block of palm sugar into curry, add eggplant, lower heat and simmer.
- Blitz spinach with a dash of cream in food processor, add to simmering curry, with juice of lime.
- Let this simmer away until you're ready for it. Serve with rice and roti.