It's that time of year, when zucchini plants run rampant and, if you're not careful, you end up with massive marrows. We like to have a surfeit of zuccs, so always plant several plants. It means we can eat zucchini every day, if we so choose, but also means that new ways to deal with the fruits often need finding...
In the past I've made zucchini fritters, zucchini-based lasagne and zucchini soup. This time it's time to introduce a new flavour alongside this sweet, summery vegetable - the lemon. Zucchini and lemon loaf, with slivered almonds. Yum! This recipe comes from the January 2013 New Zealand Gardener, with the only amendment being that I used one loaf tin, rather than splitting between two and also added some lemon juice. Enjoy mes amis!
400 g flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
250 g sugar
250 ml rice bran oil
400 g grated zucchini
grated zest and juice of lemon
100 g slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celcius.
- Beat eggs and sugar together until pale and creamy. Beat in the oil and then stir through the zucchini and lemon.
- Stir through the dry ingredients - don't over-beat though, or loaf will be dense instead of light.
- Pour into greased loaf tin and scatter top with almonds.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, or until inserted skewer comes out clean.