02 April 2013

follow that carrot

Almost four weeks ago we had a baby boy.  So I reckon I've a pretty good excuse for my lack of recent blogging.  But now it's time to get back in the proverbial saddle, and what better way than with some tasty home baking?  My partner and I both love carrot cake, so it was a no-brainer place to start.  I almost stuffed it completely, by forgetting it was in the oven, but fortunately got to it just in time - extra golden, but not yet torched!  Cream cheese icing covers the heightened colour nicely.  Kyle had to laugh though - virtually every time I bake I forget something. 

Anyhoo, carrot cake a go-go people, everyone loves it, so treat your office, or your family, or hell, just yourself, and make one.  You get to lick the cream cheese icing spoon. 

3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
3 cups carrot, grated
1/2 cup nuts (I used slivered almonds)
1 tsp lemon rind
3/4 cup crushed pineapple

CREAM CHEESE ICING

2 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 cup cream cheese
1 cup icing sugar
squeeze lemon juice

  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius. 
  2. Beat eggs until thick.  Mix in oil, then dry ingredients. 
  3. Fold in remaining ingredients. 
  4. Pour mixture into lined/greased 22 cm springform tin and bake for 40 minutes, or until inserted skewer comes out clean. 
  5. Leave in tin for further 10 minutes following removal from oven, then move to cooling rack. 
  6. Ice with cream cheese icing when completely cooled, sprinkle with sunflower seeds if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment