We love carbonara. It's such a comforting dish, and can be made using so many different ingredients (or only a handful!). Our favourite may is with coconut cream. The flavour the coconut cream gives when coupled with fresh herbs is amazing!! And it's not a rich or heavy as using normal cream (obviously, if you're making traditional carbonara you wouldn't be using cream at all, but...). So, we love this dish but, incredibly, I've never blogged it before. Remiss of me, absolutely. Rectifying my laxness, yes I am.
Following is what KB put in our carbonara last night, but we will often have chicken in there as well, and broccoli, zucchini...whatever is in season really. Thyme works well too, herb-wise. Change it up to suit your taste, and what's in your fridge.
To serve 4 (sweet - dinner for the whole fam, or leftover lunches the next day!)
1/2 - 1 pack dried fettuccine (depending how much pasta you like)
6 rashers streaky bacon, chopped into matchsticks
1 onion, diced
10 mushrooms, diced or sliced
1/2 capsicum, diced
1 tin coconut cream
1 packet powder chicken soup
good-sized pile grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
chives and basil, chopped
- Bring water to boil for pasta, cook until al dente.
- Fry bacon in pan until beginning to crisp. Add onion, mushrooms and capsicum in butter, on low-medium heat until softened.
- Mix coconut cream, eggs and soup together well. Add herbs and salt and pepper.
- Stir cooked and drained pasta through the veges and bacon in pan. Stir through coconut cream mix and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When ready to serve stir through cheese. Voila!!