29 March 2010

I want to be an Austrian

Dancing around on the beach (in Wellington) over the weekend it was decided that I ought to film my prancing, send it to the Austrian authorities and demand automatic citizenship.  I guess I must have been doing a half-decent approximation of a schuhplattler (well, a female version of it).  As a token of respect to my new-found mothercountry, I thought I'd share a recipe which I love, along with the majority of Austrians (unless they've lost their tastebuds).  It was first given to me when I lived in France in 2002, by an Austrian guy who lived in my foyer (hostel-type apartments, not in my entrance hall), and subsequently a variation on the original recipe was given to me by Isi, a lovely German girl who plays handball here in kiwiland.  So, for all Austrians, both actual and honorary, kaiserschmarrn...  

Kaiserschmarrn literally means Emperor Mishmash, it's a messy looking dessert that is basically scrambled pancakes, or pancakes cut up post-cooking and made to look vaguely scrambled.  Yum - pancakes that aren't ruined if they don't look perfect!!  I've given first the standard recipe, followed by Isi's variation.  Enjoy!!

3 eggs, separated
100g flour
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup milk
100g butter
handful raisins (optional
icing sugar
  1. Mix egg yolks, flour, sugar, vanilla, salt and milk into a thin dough.
  2. Whisk egg whites until stiff, mix through dough.
  3. Melt butter in pan and add dough.  Sprinkle with raisins, if using, and fry it over a low heat.
  4. Turn pancake over.  Tear into little pieces and fry through (alternatively you can leave in one piece to cook, then cut into strips after removing from pan). 
  5. Serve sprinkled with icing sugar.  Traditionally it would be served alongside some fruit compote - apple or plum work well. 
Isi's Fusionschmarrn

3 eggs, separated
2 tbsp sugar (sugar high!!!!)
60g flour
200g sour cream
butter (for frying)
icing sugar
milk (only needed if mixture if too stodgy)
  1. Make in exactly the same way as above - just add a little milk, if too thick. 
It looks like a mess, but it tastes amazing.  Nom nom nom.  Vielen Dank Österreich!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment