185 g butter, softened FOR SYRUP:
3/4 cup castor sugar 50 g butter
2 eggs 1/2 cup brown sugar
2 large pears (we used packham) 1 tsp ground ginger
2 cups self-raising flour 1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp ground ginger (heaped!) 1/2 cup water
2/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
juice of half a lemon
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Line 20 cm round cake tin with baking paper/grease sides.
- Mix together butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Peel, core and slice pears.
- Sift in flour and ginger. Add milk, vanilla, pear and mix well.
- Spoon into cake tin, bake for 1 hour, or until inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in tin for about 10 minutes, then remove to and cool on cake rack.
- For syrup put all ingredients into saucepan, melt butter and bring to boil. Boil briefly, remove from heat. Serve warm drizzled over cake.