However, I think I know what the problem may have been... The original recipe said 150 g chocolate. Bugger that - 200 g from now on. And I used pretty cheap cooking chocolate. Next time it'll be cadbury energy, or whittikers dark ghana, or something with some real chocolate kick. So, lesson learned - don't skimp on the chocolate when making a chocolate cake. You'd think I'd have figured that out by now, wouldn't you?
Oh well, all's well that ends well - the cake was eaten and enjoyed, which is the main thing. Great cake, but take note of where I went wrong. :)
175 g butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
6 eggs, separated
200 g dark chocolate, melted
140 g ground almonds
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees celcius.
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks.
- Melt chocolate slowly, by placing bowl over pot of simmering water. Fold this and the almonds into the butter mixture.
- In another bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into cake mixture.
- Pour into greased and lined 20cm springform tin.
- Bake for 20 mins then reduce heat to 150 degrees for further 35 minutes, or until form.
- Allow cake to cool in tin before serving dusted with icing sugar and a dollop of yoghurt or whipped cream.