The original recipe suggested trimming the marshmallow before serving, to make it nicely in line with the cake, but I didn't bother - why waste marshmallow? Without further ado, meet the Christmas centrepiece of the future...
For the cake
225 g flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
5 large eggs, separated
225 g caster sugar
1 tbsp vanilla essence (or 1 tsp extract)
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Butter 21cm x 12cm loaf tin and line base with baking paper.
- Place egg whites in large bowl and whisk to form firm peaks (I used a handheld electric beater). Gradually add sugar, still whisking.
- Turn motor to lowest speed and whisk in egg yolks, vanilla and lemon juice. Fold in flour, baking powder, salt and milk.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Turn baked cake onto a wire rack and allow to cool for 1o minutes.
200 ml condensed milk
1/2 tsp rosewater (I used normal water with a drop red colouring)
1 1/2 tsp powdered gelatine
125 ml boiling water
- Add gelatine to boiling water, stirring until dissolved.
- Slowly pour gelatine into egg mixture while whisking. Continue whisking until mix is cool and firm (about 8 minutes).