15 February 2011

when arguing with a stone, the egg is always wrong

But at all other times, the egg is ALWAYS right.  There's something about a bacon and egg pie that, for me, screams weekend picnic.  Mum used to make them whenever we were going out at weekends - forestry AGMs, Aaron's rowing, whatever.  I've never made one though, funnily enough, it's a food I'd largely forgotten about over the years.  So when KB decided to throw one together to take to the lake on Sunday, my ears pricked up as my tastebuds started to reminisce down memory lane.  This time we used frozen veges, but fresh obviously are the go, we just happened to have a bag that suited our purpose.  I say 'our', but if I'm honest it should be 'his', as I was just loitering and watching.  Bacon and egg pie, wicked - and if you feel like adding something, or substituting, or taking away, do it.  Flexible foods, the best kind for weekends. 

6 slices bacon
10 eggs
1 tbsp capers
1 cup chopped vegetables
1 onion, diced
1 sheet pastry (KB used flaky puff this time)
  1. Rub a little oil into the dish you're going to cook the pie in (KB used a roasting tray) and preheat oven to 150 degrees celcius.
  2. Chop up bacon and onion (and veges, if needs be), mix together in a large bowl with about 10 eggs.  Stir through some salt and plenty of pepper. 
  3. Line your dish with a sheet of pastry (more or less, depending on size of dish) and pour pie filling in. 
  4. Bake until cooked through and golden on top. 

2 comments:

  1. For some reason I was never a big fan of bacon and egg pie growing up, suspect it was because it was always gross supermarket pies I got given...this sounds lovely and really simple to make, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That would be wicked up the mountain too! Love the action pick of KB! You should get a photo of you on here too, you will be jumping that wake in no time :)

    ReplyDelete