15 December 2015

Christmas Day canapés - DIY-buttermilk blinis

I made a batch of pikelets on the weekend, for Harry to take to school as part of a shared lunch.  It had been a while since I'd bothered making these delicious little morsels, and I'd forgotten how quick they are to make, and how many you get in a batch (I make small, bite-sized pikelets).  Anyhoo, it got me thinking that these would be a good base for some Christmas Day canapés.  

However, I want these to be less sweet than your typical pikelets, otherwise known in their smaller-size as blinis, so I reduced the amount of sugar used, added some lemon zest to the mix, and used buttermilk in place of milk (actually, I used milk with lemon juice, canny eh?).  The result?  Light little blinis which are going to be perfect with a little cream cheese and salmon.  This batch will be long gone before Christmas, but I'll make another next week (though you can make these now, and freeze them until you need them).  

1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
up to 1/4 cup sugar 
1 egg 
3/4 cup buttermilk (or 3/4 cup milk with juice of half lemon squeezed in)
zest of one lemon
  1. Squeeze lemon juice into milk, if making your own buttermilk.  Set aside for a few minutes.  
  2. Put everything into a bowl and stir to combine, until free of lumps.  
  3. Melt butter in pan, fry in batches.  Remove to cooling rack, or eat straight away.  

No comments:

Post a Comment