09 December 2015

Frankincense to offer have I

I like Christmas carols.  I know they can be annoying, especially in shopping malls, but there's just something a little bit magical about some of them.  We Three Kings is one I've always liked, so when I saw some lotion bars on Wellness Mama using gold, frankincense and myrrh, I knew they were something I needed to try.  And they smell and look so beautiful, I can't wait to give them to people for Christmas!  I made two batches, one as Katie did on her blog, and one which used different oils, as an adjustment for skin sensitive to fragrances.  



Gold, frankincense and myrrh bars

1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup shea butter
1/3 cup beeswax
2 tsp gold mica powder (I reduced this from the original 'cause I was using a very very fine satin mica - if you use a more coarse mica, like a sparkly mica, you may like to up this to 1 tbsp)
15 drops each frankincense and myrrh essential oils
5-10 drops peppermint essential oil

Sensitive skin bars 

1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup shea butter
1/3 cup beeswax
1 tsp gold mica powder
calendula petals 
5-10 drops lavender essential oil (optional, I left this out this time) 

  1. Melt shea butter, beeswax and coconut/olive oil in a double boiler (I put them in a large glass jar, which I then put into a pot with some boiling water in it).  
  2. When all melted, remove from heat and add other ingredients (I left the sensitive skin batch on for a while, to allow the calendula to release its goodness into the oil). 
  3. Carefully pour into silicon muffin tins, or into deodorant containers, like the white ones I used - I bought those from Go Native NZ.  
  4. Once hardened, rub onto skin for a nourishing natural shimmer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment