26 May 2011

easy-peasy lemon-squeezie

Targeted advertising.  It's everywhere.  I loathe it, but at the same time sometimes even I get sucked in.  Lucky for me (and those who get to eat my baking) I gave in to a tasty looking ad the other day.  It was a little ad, alongside my email, for the chelsea sugar website.  The image was a lemon muffin.  I LOVE lemons in baking, so was immediately drawn in.  Here's the recipe, it was easy and turned out really well - I doubled the lemon from the original, 'cause you can never have too much of the good stuff. 

2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup poppy seeds (optional)
finely grated rind of 3-4 lemons
100 g butter
2 large eggs
1 cup milk 
juice of 3-4 lemons
1/4 cup sugar
  1. Measure flour, sugar and seeds into a bowl.  Add lemon rind and combine. 
  2. Melt butter.  Mix in eggs and milk. 
  3. Add liquid into dry ingredients, fold together, but do not over mix. 
  4. Spoon into muffin tray, bake for 10-15 minutes at 200 degrees celcius. 
  5. While cooking squeeze lemon juice and mix with sugar - don't dissolve though. 
  6. As soon as muffins removed from oven brush with lemon-sugar glaze.  
  7. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!   
Nb: These would also work really well using mini muffin tins, for bite-sized treats, for an afternoon tea.  Sounds nanaish, but be honest, we all go there sometimes.  ;)  Probably would need to reduce the cooking time a little...

No comments:

Post a Comment