13 September 2011

the knave of hearts, he stole some tarts...

Every day I drive past at least two signs for berry farms.  At the moment the signs say 'closed' (oh, and 'COME ON ALL BLACKS!!'), but they're a reminder of goodness to come.  Fresh blueberries, raspberries and massive trays of sunny strawberries for only $6 (go the misshapen seconds trays!!).  Whilst I may still have a month or so to wait, it's never too early to break out the frozen berries for some muffins.  So, blueberry muffins it is, with a hint of white shocola.  Normally white chocolate has me sticking my tongue out in distaste (too sickly sweet), but with berries it seems to take on a whole new dimension, one of subtle, nutty, vanillayness.  Okay, perhaps it's a day for making up words.  Never mind, the muffins are so tasty, I'm sure the lexical authorities will forgive me.  

2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
5 tbsp raw sugar
1 cup white chocolate (chips, bits, whatever)
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup milk
75g butter, melted
1 cup berries
extra raw sugar, optional
  1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius.  Grease muffins tins. 
  2. Sift dry ingredients into bowl.  Stir in chocolate and make a well in the centre. 
  3. Combine eggs, milk and butter.  Pour the mixture into well and add blueberries.
  4. Stir until just combined. 
  5. Pour mixture into muffin tins (about 3/4 full) and sprinkle with a little raw sugar. 
  6. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and inserted skewer comes out clean. 

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait for berries to come into season! And yes the seconds trays...
    Love the sound of these muffins, but then I do love white chocolate. And making up words is always all good with me! :)

    ReplyDelete