23 August 2010

we need more neon foods


Well, maybe not neon like the zinc we used as sunblock when we were kids, but definitely bright.  Turmeric is the queen of spices for this - she'll make the most boring of foods suddenly exciting.  Take this soup recipe for example.  When somebody gave me this (and apologies, I can not remember from whence this came) I politely smiled and graciously accepted the recipe.  Of course, the whole time I'm thinking "cauliflower soup? no freakin' way, my friend". 

Well, talk about having to eat my proverbial hat.  I eventually made the soup and had to not only admit that it tasted amazingly good, but it also looked cool - it's BRIGHT yellow, as neon as food can legally get in NZ.  Seriously, this stuff is the shizzle.  I've made it a few times now, for various different people and it has been enjoyed every time.  Most people look a little skeptical before trying it, but it don't last.  So, do something more interesting with that cauliflower going soft in the bottom of your vege crisper than pair it with cheese sauce (no disrespect to the cheese sauce though!).  If you've time, make some naan's too, for dipping.  YUM!! 

4 tbsp olive oil

2 medium onions, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 med. head cauliflower
2 tsp curry powder
1-2 tsp turmeric
salt and pepper
300 ml hot chicken stock
300 ml milk
extra hot water
100 g chedder, grated
  1. Heat 1/2 oil, cook onion and celery in large pan. Add remaining oil and cook cauliflower florets for 4-5 minutes, with spices and salt and pepper.
  2. Pour in stock. When simmering add milk - if liquid not covering veges, add a little more water.
  3. Simmer gently for about 10 minutes, or until florets are cooked (but not overly mushy).
  4. Blend (I use my wand thingee) and, over low heat, stir in cheese. YUM!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds so good - I love tumeric :) except when I spill it on my clothes and it never comes out :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. But cauliflower soup is the schizzle! I can't wait to try this. *happy sigh*

    ReplyDelete